View Single Post
Old 04-10-11, 09:54 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Our laws regarding dogs are so weak that dogs are allowed to roam off-property and kill pets/livestock with no consequences. It's not actually the laws that are lacking, it is the interpretations of the local enforcement officers. Thankfully, since there have been numerous incidents this past year the sheriff's department is beginning to take a more aggressive approach. In fact, my son saw someone getting a citation for allowing his dog to chase the geese near the bike path we live next to just two days ago. Of course that was the same day three of my neighbor's dogs ran into my backyard to chase my ducks. (I opened the gate to bring a tool out just as the neighbor was taking her dogs for an off-leash romp in our leashes-mandatory county.)

I feel that dog owner's behavior is a good barometer of just how civil a society is. If people behave as scofflaws with their dogs, they will ignore any law they find inconvenient no matter the consequences to others as long as they think they can get away with it.