View Single Post
Old 04-12-11, 06:07 PM
thesearethesuns

Bikes: Currently--1978 Schwinn Le Tour III hand me down, 2006 Kona Sutra frame I am currently building up. Past bicycles: 2010 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 3900 MTB. Childhood bicycles: 1992/3? Giant Attraction, a Huffy, a Mongoose BMX style bike, first bike a BMX.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
If you really want to do this solo, then do it solo. You won't be any safer with a partner, as cycle touring is inherently a very safe sport. A partner is not going to keep you from being run over, and you'll stay out of sketchy neighborhoods. I hope. Common sense, obeying traffic rules, and being highly visible will make for a safe trip. At least as safe as teaching school.

Touring with a partner is great. Companionship and support. As long as you don't mind negotiations and compromise for weeks on end. But heck, that's just part of everyday life. OTOH, if you want to get away from everyday life for a while, go solo. Enjoy the freedom of the open road without the worry of how someone else might "feel" about your wishes.

As Steph1 pointed out, you'll likely meet many touring cyclist on the ACA routes. If you want, probably can hook up temporarily. This sort of loose arrangement can make for some companionship without much commitment. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Be sure and journal your ride, maybe over on www.crazyguyonabike.com.
Thanks Cyclebum! I think I will at least start off solo and see where it takes me.

I also plan on doing a dry run from my house in Bay Shore, LI, NY to Montauk, LI, NY and back. It's about 80 miles each way, mostly flat terrain until forty or so miles into it. I figure I will do a fully loaded dry run, breaking the run up half way in one direction, and an endurance day back, making it a three day tour. I have already completed a 60 mile tour in Rockland County, NY about a year and a half ago, so I have a feel for what a very hilly sixty mile day is like, but it's been a while all the same...

Anyhow, I had just talked to a guy today from my LBS who told me that he had completed more or less the same route that I am thinking about taking (ACA Atlantic Coast to Richmond VA, then Trans Am to Blue Ridge Pkwy, over the Smokeys and linking up with I 40 to cross the country.)

He told me that it's doable, and that people along the corridor anticipate cross-country cycle traffic, and that there are even periodic shelters along the road such as old campers. Does anyone here have experience with I-40 or adjacent roads?