View Single Post
Old 04-12-11, 06:27 PM
FasterNearGirls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
The Wikipedia entry on heart rate is actually useful.

And Chinarider is right: the 220-age formula is inaccurate. There are better formulas but they also lead to an average. I'm 43; according to the formula my MHR should be 177, but I've measured it at 193.

Resting heart rate (RHR) is easily determined. Don't just enter 70; instead, hook up your heart rate monitor, lie down and relax, and wait a few minutes. Then turn on the timer. Stay calm and still. After a couple of minutes, turn it off again. Use the average HR as your RHR. Don't do this after you've been working out, since your heart takes time to recover. I habitually take my pulse first thing in the morning; I've noticed a wide variation in RHR, from 52 if I am well rested to over 60 if I slept poorly, am stressed, or overindulged on food or booze the previous evening.

Heart rate reserve is simply the difference between MHR and RHR. Some aerobic training methods use RHR plus percentages of HRR, rather than percentages of MHR.
Thanks!!

If I weren't having a dirty martini, I'd measure my RHR right now! I guess it's better to do it in the morning anyway.. one after a non drinking night as you pointed out...

I'm just still intrigued with regards to the HRR. if this HRReserve= HRM - RHR, let's say for example that max = 190 and rest = 70. So then HRR = 120. Period. So I'll be at 100% of my HRR % at 120 bpm? And the part that's throwing me off: I'll be at over 100% the whole time then!

Hope it's not the martini's fault.

Thanks again.