Old 04-12-11, 07:10 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
She rides!

So, I started riding again about a year ago to get healthier and rediscovered how much I love it. The problem is my wife has been, at times, somewhat hostile towards my riding due to "not spending time" with the family. Not to mention spending money on getting my mtb in shape and then getting a road bike. I know part of it is she is not used to me having a hobby, so I have rarely done things without her and the kids or spent money on myself, so this was a big change in behavior for me.

To try and help, I have been trying to get everyone to start riding so we can enjoy it as a family and get some exercise. It has been very frustrating because no one really wanted to ride. My 13yr old son has never liked bike riding and isn't even willing to get on his bike. My 11yr old daughter will sometimes putt around on the street and my 5yr old is still on training wheels. But the biggest problem is my wife HATES exercising and never wanted to even try. She is overweight like me, and knows it, but has been unwilling to do anything about it. Diet and/or exercise has been a no-go. I have tried asking her why and the best reply I have gotten is "it's too hard, and I don't have the time or energy".

Well, it looks like things may finally be changing! Some friends told us about a smoking deal they got on a cruise next February and we signed up to go too (we love cruises!). My wife said there was no way she was going to get into a bathing suit around our friends without losing weight. So she stopped buying cookies for her "stash" and is willing to focus on eating better. But the best of all is she realizes dieting alone will not do it. So the last couple of days I have been resurrecting her bike (1991 Marin Muir Wood) and tonight we went riding!!!!

It was a short ride (about a mile) because my 5yr old wanted to come, but it was a ride. Tomorrow we are going to do a longer ride (I'll take the youngest on a separate ride so she doesn't feel left out). And, my 11yr old is now really interested in eating right and exercising to lose the gut she got since she quit competitive cheer. While I'm not expecting any of them to get into riding as much as I have (I still hope it might happen), I am very excited they are wanting to do some type of exercising.