patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woohoo! Great forum idea.

I've been car-free all my life. Our household (3 adults, 2 cats, 1 gecko, 1 mystery rodent) manages just fine without a car. I occasionally use a car for work (less then once a month), but don't drive it: that's part of what I pay my assistant for.

To me, there are two key parts of being able to live without a personal car (I'm not assuming everyone can also live without a business car). The first is location, the second is selective shopping. Both require planning.

Its always been obvious to me (though apparently not to many others) that choosing a home is all about location: how close to transit, stores, work, etc. Car-free or not, I do not understand why anyone would chose to have a long commute. And while you can't always control your job location, you can certainly chose to live near grocery stores and other necessities.

Selective shopping also requires planning. First eliminate the junk, and buy wholesome foods. Fresh fruits, veggies, and meats need a lot less packaging - and therefore are easier to carry - than pre-packaged foods. Find stores that will deliver: in addition to small trips for perishables, we do a huge grocery every two weeks and have it delivered: costs us $5.00CAD. If you plan ahead, paying the occasional small delivery fee is still much cheaper than paying for gas.

Finally don't under-estimate what you can carry home on a bike. 20lbs of cat litter in a backpack or pannier is not that hard (consider using Swheat Scoop- works better, environmentally friendly, and much lighter too). Need new blinds? I carried 5 foot blinds strapped to my top tube. Get a good rack and a selection of bungee cords, and you're set. The people who stare at you and think you're nuts are just an added bonus.