Old 04-13-11, 11:37 PM
RoadJerk
cherry vanilla rampage

Bikes: Crosslake Aluminum Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clif: I was really worried about that, especially since the material seems so flimsy at first when you pick it up in the sheet. But the spokes are close enough to hold it stiff. It was windy all day today while I was testing it out. I even rode at an angle to the wind on purpose, but I didn't even really feel the gust at all. Maybe I haven't ridden on it enough to really tell the difference, but to me it seems to not have any affect aerodynamics at all. In the back of my mind I'd like to think it does something good for aerodynamics, but at least it doesn't seem to affect it negatively (or suddenly explode while you're riding XD).

Gilmatic: If I get the time to make a video I'll attempt it. I'm certainly going to make plans for it and attach them in a reply to this thread (give me a day or two).

FastJake: Yeah you just have to tape one side. I put a 1in strip of self-adhesive velcro between every other spoke. It was a bit awkward aligning it so that the strips dont interfere with the valve stem or the pacman fold. I'll include a diagram of how I arranged them in the plans I'm going to make.

hairnet: I've never played. If I get some time over the summer I might check it out. I havent been to many bike-related events lately

EpicSchwinn: The two sheets of acrylic cost me about 10 bucks, about 6 dollars on spray paint and clear coat (you dont really need to prime acrylic, but it may help. Just know that the more layers of paint you add the more weight you're adding (think of how much a spray can weighs before use and then empty; i proabably almost used the whole can for both discs, you really need to cover acrylic thoroughly if its a dark color to hide the transparency of the acrylic). Everything else are common tools that you'd probably have around or know someone (like an Arch major =D) has. So in total probably less than 20 bucks. Or you could just leave it unpainted and save cost, labor, and trip out everyone who sees it.

So yeah, I would say the experiment is a success. We will see how long this invention lasts.

P.S. I want to see someone make a spin-art one while its turning on a frame! That would be hella sickkkkk brahhhh

Last edited by RoadJerk; 04-13-11 at 11:49 PM.