View Single Post
Old 04-15-11, 12:32 PM
ollyisk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't be worried about adjustment! It's really not that hard.

There are lots of tutorials on "pain free disc brake adjustment" on the net, but I'm an idiot and didn't really bother to look around when I first got them. I had an epiphany one day and suddenly "got it." It hasn't been so bad since then, and I've honestly never even had to touch my brakes since I put the floating rotors on.

I used Ashima and Avid rotors before switching to Hope rotors (again, the Hopes are considerably more expensive). My experiences were like this: the Avids got bent out of shape rather quickly, but never too bad. I had to adjust my brake pads so I had very little braking power. I could never really tune them to the point where I felt confident with them. After that, I bought Ashima rotors because I thought sawblade rotors looked "cool," and they were really lightweight (and quite cheap). They came bent from shipping, and I could never get them right. It just got worse and worse, and one night after trying to true and tune them for an hour, I freaked out and just bent the hell out of them in a fit of adjustment rage. I got the hope rotors, and they've been perfect absolutely since day one. I haven't even had to use my disc truing fork once to prevent rubbing.

To be fair though, lots of people use Avid and Ashima rotors and claim to not have issues. My personal experience wasn't so sweet. Paying $90 for two rotors that have essentially been maintenance free since day 1 is absolutely the price of admission for me.

Don't skimp on rotors--if they're cheap, there's a reason for it.