MarieEisley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this bike....worth it?

I've been eyeing this white beach cruiser bike for sometime now:

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...ml/page64.html

and shamefully for aesthetic reasons; it's gorgeous. Wrong reason to want to splurge on a cycle, I know. But they are actually selling it for $350 at a local store.

I don't know a lot about bicycles and even less about beach cruisers, but the first thing that came to my mind was that from $750 to $350 and in addition to being new, this was indeed a deal. Only problems that I can think of are that

1 - No handbrakes, only coaster breaks. I want a handbrake as a backup because coaster breaks skid and aren't great in inclement weather or down hills.
2 - It's heavy. I'm 5'2'' and 115lbs. Enough said.
3 - I live in the New York City area, specifically the outer boroughs. Much safer here than in Manhattan, but enough said.

So this definitely means I have to purchase a bunch of locks for it and learn how to properly secure the bike. The thing is, I do not know if this bike is worth it mostly because I will only be using for riding around the neighborhood and maybe to school a couple times when the weather is great. Plus, I want some expert input on Worksman cycles and beach cruisers and their lack of caliper brakes. Please advise!

Last edited by MarieEisley; 04-16-11 at 08:08 PM.