Old 04-17-11, 01:04 PM
episodic

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually prefer cantilever brakes, I believe the troll supports these. I guess I'm confused about the front chain ring. By speccing a compact double, I just meant I didn't need a triple - but if a triple is low cost - then by all means - no problem. I'd like more mountain components on it. I'm going to use it on street as a commuter and a tourer - but my handlebars are going to be nashbar trekking bars - which have a mountain diameter for levers and shifters.

The bb thing - I'm not sure. I'd like longevity, sealed against elements, ease of replacement, and all that 1st and foremost. Something standard - nothing off the wall. Don't really care about weight - (unless you have 2 that all things are = one is much lighter, etc). My LBS is really small and does not have 'build kit options' asfaik.

I was trying to get price down by buying frame and wheels from him (although I'd like input on which 26in wheels/hubs would be best loaded and used a lot). Pedals, I'd like a dual platform/clip in setup where I can use regular shoes as needed. I have the seat already. Would love 26 inch 'thin' fast street tire thoughts, etc.

So, I'm on a 'budget' of sorts. Looking for practical components that are easy to surface. Weight is not a primary consideration, so you don't have to steer me to ultralight/ultra expensive parts. I have no brand loyalty, for instance I was considering "Nashbar" rear and front mountain derailleurs - if you guys think they are good, etc.

Thanks for your input.