View Single Post
Old 06-12-05, 01:06 PM
tirvine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vittoria tire pressure

first off, this is my first post. I was working on it, and for some reason it disappeared as I clicked into a different program. So if I already sent a half-formed version of this, sorry.

Anyway, I recently got a new Vittoria CX tubular as my spare. They also talked me into a 16g CO2 cartridge, although I usually use 12g. He said the specs on the tire were 120-200 psi and a 12 g would not get me there or be enough for that tire. Anyway, I flatted a long way from home. I pulled out the new CX, slapped it on the rim (actually, more like wrestled it...I hate Kevlar), and pumped it up. The cartridge seemed like it had more gas than the tire wanted. As I rode home it leaked, and by the time I was home I had to creep around corners with barely enough pressure left to protect the rim. So, here's the issue: What is a "good pressure" for a CX? I usually pump to 120. I pump the front to only 100 or 110 if it is rainy. It seems to work fine. I cannot IMAGINE 200 psi. If I wanted my tires to run that hard, why would I use tubulars? The "feel" would be lost. Anybody had similar experiences with 16g cartridges for road tires of this size (I assume they are 21s)?

Also, anybody tried Veloflex or Gommitalia? I think Vittoria has really slid. BTW, I do like Vredsteins, but they are hard to find.