Old 04-19-11, 11:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
You'll get two schools of thinking in this area: race bikes with racks, and do-it-all heavy duty purpose-built commuter bikes. This one falls into the latter category.

If you want to commute on a road/race bike, that's fine, but it's not made for that. 37 pounds isn't heavy for a commuter bike.
Originally Posted by Fizzaly
+1 for that mine without bags weights 39lbs
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Doesn't require a 35+ pound bike, but it's not considered "heavy" for commuting either.
When did neutron star material become available for bicycle frames? And why would you want to use it? Because cars want to avoid being trapped in your gravitational field and will keep away from you?

Sorry but 37 lbs is heavy for any bike...especially one that goes for $1300! Especially if it isn't designed to run down mountains at 50 mph with 8" of front and rear travel. What did Breezer do, add lead to the down tube? There really isn't any reason I can see for that bike to be so portly. Nor is there any need for a bike to weigh that much. It doesn't gain you any durability.

I've got an old steel tandem at home that doesn't go 37 lbs. I've got a touring bike built to carry me and 50+ lb of gear that doesn't even tip the scales at 30 lb. That's ready to roll out the door...not stripped down. I've got a dual suspension all mountain mountain bike that doesn't tip the scales at 30 lbs.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-19-11 at 12:12 PM.