View Single Post
Old 04-23-11, 03:00 PM
UptownJoe60640
I ride bikes!

Bikes: 2011 Redline 925 (Commuter) 2004 Giant Sedona(Fiances)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
Why when it is legal in Denver to ride a bike at a speed no greater than 6mph on a sidewalk for less than a block for the purposes of parking and I'm on a bike? Why walk at 5mph while pushing a bike instead of riding at 5 mph?
Because it is a side, wait for it, "walk"! Keyword is "WALK". Side walks are for walking. I understand it is legal but that doesn't justify it. I can't tell you how many times I have seen bikers
hop on the walk and usually doing what you are and almost hit someone. Just because the cyclist is experienced has nothing to do with what other people may decide to do that could
ultimately result in a collision. Of course, this could have been prevented. Maybe your walks in Denver aren't as busy as ours in Chicago but it is just asking for trouble if you ask me. Side
walks are for walking and for children learning to ride a bike. In Chicago it is illegal to ride on side walks unless you are 12 years of age or older and I am in support of this way of thinking.
Would it kill you to walk a half a block, or less, to find a suitable place to lock-up? Now, put your big boy pants on and keep you bike off the walk!

Oh, on a side note, it scares the crap out of people as well!

Last edited by UptownJoe60640; 04-23-11 at 03:06 PM.