Old 04-28-11, 07:21 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No-one should guarantee that anyone will not break a spoke. I haven't broken one in about 1500 miles of riding. I may hit something tomorrow and ping there one goes. I think in normal use if you buy a decent quality bike and keep the proper tension on them the chances of problems are slim.That means checking them occasionly especially when the bike is new. I have a Park Tools tension guage. Other old hands can strum them like a guitar and know they're OK. When a bike is built the spokes usually aren't seated in very good. After 50-100 miles they'll be seated and one should tension and true the wheel. A local bike shop (LBS) should do this for free. Brake cables and shifter cables stretch they need to be adjusted as well. This is called a tune-up.

Wally world bikes are usually one size fits all. You're not what they were sized for. Wally world bikes will not be tuned up after riding. The chances for problems are almost assured. If $300 dollars is the absolute max you'll spend I would recomend a Giant Sedona. I bought a new one as a special project for $320. I'm 6'2" and ride a Large. They make an XL which may fit you. I'd really like to see you spend $600. The Trek Fx 7.3 is the kind of bike that is very versatile. It isn't a super fast bike but it's durable and comfortable.