View Single Post
Old 04-30-11, 10:26 PM
dfw_sparta

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to bikeforums. I can tell you that you have come to the RIGHT place for the kind of info that you seeking. When I decided to buy a bike, I had no idea what to look for. Like you, I was initially considering a bike from Walmart, but learnt from this forum that it is a bad idea. Here is what I did to educate myself about bikes. I visited a few bike stores in my area and got some inputs about the type of bike that I should be looking at (performance/comfort hybrids or road bikes, etc), and also the price range or decent/good bikes. I cross-verified the suggestions/prices here at the forum. I also checked local listings for used bikes (for e.g. craiglist) to get an idea of the price range for the used ones.
My opinion is that if you do not have any experience with bikes (like me), then go with a new bike as opposed to a used one, since with a used one you always have the risk of fixing/upgrading parts. Of course if you know someone who is knowledgable about bikes and is willing to help you get a good used bike, then go for it. Otherwise making the investment is worth it.