View Single Post
Old 05-03-11, 12:50 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
Love it! I've been looking at bikes like these with increased interest lately. How does the ALAN compared to the Vitus 979? Is one a re-badge of the other? Do frames like these use BSA threading or French threads? Can anyone describe the ride/handling of these bikes for me?

Joe
Vitus 979 (French) and ALAN (Italian) frames are frames from different companies/countries and not a rebagdeg of one or the other. Vitus uses a bonded (glued) only construction for their frames, while ALAN adds screws to their glued frame joints to further reinforce the joint, so they are considered "screwed and glued" frames. Both ride more comfortably than later large diameter welded Al frames because they are a bit more compliant (flexible) with their small diameter tubing. ALAN adds a bit more aesthetic detialing on their lugs with points and even a bit of decorative engraving on the head lug fronts, while Vitus 979s are comparatively simpler with their plainer looking straight cut lug ends and very simple graphics. Both offer different color anodizing on their frame tubes with Vitus offering a few more unusual colors than ALAN, like "Rose" and "Champagne". I think Most, if not all ALAN frames have italian threading, while the Vitus mostly came with English with some ealy ones in French.
Many had worried about the bonded construction on both bikes being prone to separation, but the fears on these have been proven to be mostly false considering how many of these frames are still on the road after more than 20 years without any problems. Of course a few might have been defective from tha factory and failed on some riders, but that can be expected from many other products out there. If there is any weakness on the Alan frames, it's the cable stops and guides on the top tube and drive side chainstay. They do tend to crack from fatigue or easily get crushed from impact or continuous stress from flexing (as on the frontmost cable guide on the top tube) as they are softer than their steel counterparts. but I think a careful owner can mostly avoid damage to these fragile parts if they are just careful with their bikes.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 05-03-11 at 12:57 PM.