Old 06-14-05, 02:51 PM
Anhinga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two and a half years ago, at the age of 60, I had a total hip replacement. At the time I was in so much pain when I walked I could barely make it down the driveway to get the morning paper. For some reason, probably because of the lesser impact, I was still able to bike, but after 20 miles or so, that too was pretty painful. To make a long story short, I'm now completely pain free, I'm riding between 150 and 200 miles a week, and when I went in for my two-year (actually two years and four months) checkup a couple of months ago, the x-rays showed absolutely no wear on the artificial hip joint. The surgeon who did the replacement is an old jock himself, so he's got no problem with my biking, although he advised against anything high-impact such as running, basketball or tennis. He was a little surprised when I went to see him for my one-year checkup and told him that two weeks earlier I'd ridden the Horrible Hundred century here in central Florida, but like I said, my new hip shows no wear at all so he just shook my hand and told me to keep on doing what I was doing. If you want to know more about my situation, let me know and I'll be happy to share it with you. And good luck.