Old 05-03-11, 08:09 PM
trumptman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chilero
Trumptman,
A couple of comments. If you're riding with your seatpost so far into your frame it leads me to think your frame might be too big for you. I would recommend saving your dough for a whole "new" bike. By that I don't mean one of those carbon fiber jobs but instead another steel (or even aluminum) bike that are so inexpensive on Craigslist, fleabay or... on the curb. Also, the triple cranksets are not that hard to find. Search the typical internet places for used ones, or post your needs in the appropriate place on the forum. Depending on where you live there might be a store with used bicycle parts or your local bike shop may have some in their trash bin. A while ago I made friends with a mechanic at the LBS and he calls me whenever there is "good junk" in the bin. What happens is that they cannot sell it or give it away because of insurance issues, so into the dumpster it goes. In my case, the mechanic just saves it for me in a box and drops it off after work. It's been a couple of years since he moved on but while he was there it was a great source.
I'll definitely take that advice! I could have sworn I replied to this post. You are absolutely right that the bike frame is a bit too large for me. It doesn't cause me any discomfort though and I guess I have a pretty decent size trunk and arms.

I did buy a bike that fits better. It is a Trek 560 pro converted to STI. I haven't spent big money at all on the bike. However I did get it back up in top shape and I've put about 1100 miles on it. If I could trade it for something as nice and in as good shape that fit better I would but in the mean time it mostly does duty now going on family rides and as a second bike trying to convince my taller friends to get into bicycling. I occasionally take it out just to have fun and see the looks and raised eyebrows it gets.

Last edited by trumptman; 05-04-11 at 07:40 PM.