Old 05-09-11, 03:20 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Forks of every variety come in a wide range of quality and deliver different ride characteristics... low end sprung forks are pretty useless while better ones are much more refined and have lock out options. The Mars Elite on my XC bike weighs 3 pounds and is an air / oil model with no lockout and is wonderful for what it was designed for and not a bad fork on the road as I have it set up to be quite stiff.

Steel forks can be wonderful if they are made properly and with a rigid bike the tyres contribute more to ride quality than anything else... my Moulden XC bike has a straight steel fork and when the bike is run with the tyres it was designed for the ride is nothing short of being amazing. With high psi road slicks the bike has a very harsh ride as did my Trek hybrid... it also liked the 700:35's at 70 psi rather than 90-100 psi slicks.

If a bike has a set back riding position a suspension fork is pretty useless as the front is weighted less and a good set of tyres will address ride quality issues.

The best suspension after your tyres is your body... if you slam through every obstacle while seated and don't un-weight the pedals you and your bike will take a beating. Learn to post up off the saddle when you hit bumps and you can blow through nearly anything.

Find that this is a problem with riders who never stand and let their bike take every shock with their full weight on the saddle... it really puts those wheels to the test.