K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Think I've found my replacement bike...

I took the remains of Ludwig Van Dammit (Dammit's 9th) in for an estimate on repairs, and I was told that the frame is compromised (irreparable), so I need a new bike.

Latest contender is the Trek Montare (700x38c). Ludwig was a GT Transeo 1.0 (700x35C). Many of the bikes I was looking at either had 26" wheels, or had 29" wheels.

The Cobia doesn't have mounts for racks, nor fenders, and looks to be "too much" (read heavy) bike for my needs (I rarely go off pavement, and never go bombing down trails).

The Montare initially was off the list due to my preference for cable actuated disc brakes. The Trek bikes that I found that came with mechanical brakes had too few gears (24), or heavier/lower quality components. In looking over the Montare, I found that it is truly the closest match (such as the 9 speed shifters) to the Transeo 1.0. I've also found that Performance doesn't carry the Transeo 1.0 (in house, or online) anymore.

Is this the new "Dammit X"?

Ludwig was outfitted to ride Cycle Oregon (27 speeds, Shimano A530 pedals, Ergon GC2 Grips, and a bike fitting), to survive me (Hand built 36 spoke wheels), meet my needs for utility (Rack), and safety (lights, lightweights for wheels, and covered by reflective films)

Still waiting for my hand to heal so I can steer and use the brakes.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-10-11 at 09:26 AM.