Old 05-11-11, 11:47 AM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My city has a lot of local jobs downtown, but also a lot of crime. I am going to try to negotiate with my local bar to add a bike rack in the secured area; downtown there's an entire block you can't approach without passing through guards, no backpacks, etc. There's an area off at the end that is worthless, no traffic, no use. I want a bike rack there, or a bike locker; bike lockers would be better, because some of us will show up with CamelBaks and there's a "No Backpack" policy so yeah... but they can direct you (with your bike) to the bike locker and also mind you to stash your pack in it.

Given that most people working downtown live within 3-5 miles of their job, and most people working uptown live within 3-5 miles of their job, I would enjoy seeing these demographics bike to work. What I find fascinating, though, is that there's a demographic of extremely low end workers (janitors, bathroom attendants, bar tenders in seedy bars) that live in a low-income area outside the city and work inside the city... 6.5 miles away, which is nothing. Of course, one of them walked home at 2am; a cop stopped her and drove her home because she was about 95% likely to get ***** and murdered by the time she made it half way. I've had bullets fired around me on my way home from that bar; I found a route that immediately gets on the highway and gets off right by my house after that.

In any case, I don't expect everyone working in business park areas to bike. There's a 30 mile air gap between the urban residential zone and the commercial/industrial business parks. It costs 3 times as much to live within 5 miles of work as it does to live 30 miles away; a car just makes sense when you have a 50mph average speed highway shot (rush hour is only sluggish coming home).

I'd rather see subrail trains that allow bike carry on: last mile to the station in the res zone, plow under the highway at 150mph to bypass the traffic and come out in the commercial zone. Every 7-10 miles, there should be a train station. You can always get within 5 miles of your destination, you're within 5 miles of the train station. The stops are 10 miles apart, rather than the twice a block bus stops; I mean imagine if the train station is more than 5 blocks away, who would ride? And even then, train stops and goes too much.

Hmm... public transit... I should add that to my political profile. Not that I'll ever run, and I'll certainly never get elected if I do; but a good, well-engineered public transit system is a bit more complex than "trains and busses" ... it seems to work with the transportation system (park-and-ride, bike carry on, etc).