Old 05-11-11, 01:58 PM
willpower101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noob: Where to begin? Not sure what I want. (have old Suteki & specialize hardrock)

So I have a couple random bikes and I'd like to build something as a starter to get back into biking.

One is an old 80's suteki, screwed up brakes, dry rotted sidewalls, torn wrappings, rusted chain, etc. Original derailleur system still in tact.

Other is a specialized Hard rock comp that looks like it had a hybrid conversion attempted. It has slicks (wider and taller than suteki) and a decent seat. However the rear wheel is pretty bent up and the brakes are frozen also.

I'm wondering what I can do with these?
Also wondering what style bike would fit my needs the most?
I understand that cyclocross would be good for my needs but they're expensive.
Commuters also seem good but also seem too heavy?
I'm still a little confused about the difference between commuter & Hybrid, or fixed gear & track & road.

What I want:
  • A light fun bike for 3-5 mile city commuting.
We're talking sidewalks, alleyways, metal grates, all the hazards you could think of that I will probably want to cut in and out of.
  • Tires that can take a beating
Everyone in the road bike forum seems to want to be careful with their rims and say get a cyclocross for city hazards. (which I can't afford) But what are the fixed gear guys using that is able to stand up to wheelies and curb hopping?
  • I hate mountain bike gearing.
I always feel like I'm putting too much effort into going even a moderate speed. So far I like the feel of the gearing on road bikes, but I think I would like a fixed gear with a flip flop better.
  • I like drop bars, but when using the top I don't feel in control. I only feel in control with a wider arm stance like on a mountain bike.
I don't want something heavy.
I'm a pretty small guy (5'9" 135) and heavy hybrid bikes just feel like they take too much effort to move.

So I guess I kinda want an aluminum framed, fixed gear, with heavy duty slicks.

Should I start with the Specialized mountain bike frame because it's lighter than the steel Suteki? Or start with the Suteki frame because it has 'better' angles?
Can I put more robust tires like what's on the hardrock on the suteki's stock wheels?
Is there a drop bar solution that's wide like a mountain bike at the top?

I'm just really not sure what the best options are here with these two bike frames.