Old 05-12-11, 11:52 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As has been stated many of the help sources us elders counted on earlier in our lives just aren't there any more. Some incidents from my experience:
>City Council Meeting: The Council was in its' annual budget discussion and specifically addressing some social service spending. A council member asked the pastor of a local church why their church no longer had assistance programs. The pastor replied that it wasn't the church's job; that the government had taken that over and was being paid taxes to do it.
>TV ad: If you see someone in trouble, or a crime don't attempt to do anything yourself. You might do it wrong or place yourself in danger. Instead call the authorities so someone trained can respond and handle the situation. i.e. Leave it to the Experts.
>Conversation: Other person says: "I don't have time". But, in the conversation it is apparent they have time for watching TV and keeping up on several internet forums and social media like Facebook and Linkedin.
>Assistance worker for person with diabilities: "Would you do this as a matter of community service?" "Not on your life. I do this because I need a job and this is it". (paraphrased of course).