View Single Post
Old 05-12-11, 01:18 PM
wismer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmr1923
you sound like my brother-in-law. he's about 6'1" or so and can't seem to gain weight, i think he weighs about 145, and that's with very little exercise... i think he does a bit of hiking, considering his backyard is a mountain in Montana. my wife is a dietitian and he asked her recently about healthy ways to gain weight because the doctor said he's borderline anorexic. basically you need to increase your calorie intake but not in an unhealthy way. don't just start loading up on high-fat foods and sugar.

what is your diet like currently? you've mentioned what you have for breakfast, what about lunch, dinner, snacks? have you counted calories? what is your target weight?

if you do any weight training in addition to your biking, you'll put on pounds of muscle but only if you fuel your body right. you'll need to eat plenty of lean protein. you might try increasing your carb intake but try whole grains if possible.
Lean protein as in stuff like whey protein? As for my caloric intake average, I can't say for certain. I <i>hope</i> it's around 2000. For lunch, it's usually something like a bowlful of home-made vegetarian marinara + pasta, a ham/swiss or vegetarian cheese hoagie (a "sub" for the uncouth) or a vegetarian or chicken chipotle burrito (I remember reading it was around 600 cal. for the burritos). Dinner is harder to pin down but largely similar to what I have lunch since I tend to cook in bulk. I snack on a candy bar on occassion or a PB&J with milk.

As for target weight? I don't know but not skinny! I'll tell you that much! I have two older brothers that are a few inches shorter but weight an extra 30 lbs or so. Due to their professions (Mason, Carpenter) they are both pretty fit but have a tendency to eat unhealthily. Maybe like that. Not Conan the barbarian nor Conan the comedian. They are in between, I'd say.