Old 05-12-11, 01:19 PM
runningDoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
the canadians in this thread hate this guy.

I used his videos religiously right after buying a park tool stand and tool kit. What they are is a great introduction into bike maintenance/repair CONCEPTS. I'd set up my laptop right in my bike room and play the video while trying out the various repairs/tune ups.

Would I pay for this? No, only because he isn't the end all be all of repair. He frequently only uses his older MTB as the bike in his repairs which still has a quill stem. I have a couple hybrids/a road bike/an 80's road bike.

I often would view his video as a way to figure out the concept(s) behind a repair - for instance rear derailleur video. Then I'd hit youtube to see if there were any specific repair videos for a SRAM red derailleur installation/adjustment and work from there.

So in a sense he's actually a bike professor not a tutor. because like with college professors they just should give you the concepts behind a lesson and you should do your own reading/research into the subject further to really learn what you need specifically.

In that sense biketutor monthly/yearly payment isn't really worth it in my opinion because you can still learn the concepts for free by searching youtube or checking out bike repair books from the library.