View Single Post
Old 05-16-11, 11:42 AM
iqbal624

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple ideas:
1. Talk to your wife and tell her you really want to do it even if just for a 30 min ride.
2. Don't look for things you can cut out, just decide that Tuesday and Thursday after work and school commitments, you will go for a ride.
3. Night before, put wife and baby (congrats by the way) to bed and head out to the garage. Take the bike off the wall, check gears, air preessure, etc. Set out your shoes and helmet by the bike. Set out the Lycra so it's easy to access.
4. Try to find a riding partner... Easier to convince yourself to say no than convincing two people. Also, you're more likely to go if you don't want to let people down.
5. If you're a Facebook user, post on your wall in the am saying you're going to go for a ride that way you know that someone will probably ask how your ride went... Therefore, you will have to go.
Find a nice ride from home... If you don't have to drive to your destination, then you again are more likely to go.

Basically, you are removing all of the reasons that make it hard to get out...
Additionally, you are adding accountability...

It's taken me a while to figure it out but I do most of those things that I posted. For example: I will get home today at 4:15 and should be out of the house on my bike by 4:25.

I live at the top of a hill so up until last week, I never biked from home because I never wanted to climb the hill. Since I tried it, it's not too bad and the 30 minutes round trip I used to spend driving, I now spend biking.

Good luck.
If you need some personal accountability, email me: iqbal624@me.com
But, I will require that you hold me accountable too!