View Single Post
Old 06-16-05, 08:16 AM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also a heavier (295 at the outset) rider and my bike trail commute consists of both crushed stone and paved stretches. I bought a 700c Fuji Supreme which I really like and have found very comfortable from the outset. I had a few days of discomfort from the 23 mi roundtrip on the stock saddle but after that first week I developed enough of a riding callous to not notice.

I would agree with Linchpin that for a suitable off the shelf bike that will handle a heavier rider a 26in mountain bike is probably easier to find. I eventually had a new double walled rim, 36 spoke rear wheel built and have been very happy with it and had no further problems with broken spokes and such. But at $140, a new rear wheel is a significant expense. I think you will find it is easier to find rugged mountain bike wheels as a stock feature on reasonably priced bikes.

From experience I can also say that if you can check out a few LBS's until you find one that actually has some experience with larger riders and won't dismiss you as beyond their average sized clients. I live about equidistant from 2 bike shops, both places are similar on price and have a courteous staff. But only one seemed to really know or care about larger riders. As I have done more business with them and talked with them more I've found out that they have 6 or 8 large riders (both in terms of height and weight) that they have been working with to find good sturdy bikes. So I never feel out of place when I go in there and I've found their advice well worth the search for a good LBS.

Also the idea of putting some sort of low tread tire on the bike will make for an easier ride. As you ride more you might even want to look into narrower tires, and once again there are several choices out there in the 26in size.