Old 05-18-11, 12:35 PM
pwglass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goof point!

Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
I have a really bad back and I ended up riding a recumbent trike for years and that worked well for me for years. After I lost my weight I ended up getting into a really nice road bike, and bending over forward actually helped to open up my back and stretch it out, so riding a bike helps me a bunch. I can't ride a mountain bike as sitting straight up hurts my back, so between bending forward on a road bike, or backwards on a recumbent may work for you. A nice steel recumbent trike is a great way to start and should be able to support your weight with no problem, plus you don't have to worry about falling over, which can be a problem when you carry a lot of weight up high as you would on a two wheeler.
I want to thank everyone for the encouragement! I'm not sure whether I will go with a recumbent or trike (although one of my sons is worried that I might fall), but the point about stretching the back is a good one. My doctor tells me I should unload my back by walking around every hour or so (I sit at a computer all day), so perhaps a road bike would be a good idea. I had thought about handlebars that allow a more upright position, but I may rethink that. I do know that as I put my leg over the bicycle when getting on, I got twinges in my lower back. That could just be recent inflammation that has not totally resolved.

Have any of you seen Sun's Streamway bikes? They have a really low entry, which would be great, but they just look so darned odd! Would that type of frame be good for general riding? I love in an urban area, in a historic district, so there aren't too many hills where I plan to do the majority of my riding--at least, until I am more comfortable on a bike and in better shape. There are, however, broken sidewalks...

Thanks again for all the encouragement. I'll report back on what I go with, because I am going to ride!