Old 05-24-11, 07:05 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
Ok, I leave from work planning an enjoyable, if a bit hot ride home. As I pedal easy through the parking lot my front wheel picked up a stick that jammed in my fender and locked the front wheel. Although it seemed like slow motion, it happened so quick that I could not react and over the bars I went. I was only going about 10 mph at the time so I guess it could have been worse. I had a few scrapes but the bike needed some attention to get home.

The kicker is that I intend to tear down this bike (a 1973 Raleigh Competition) for restoration this coming weekend and had been ordering parts for a older frame that I wanted to reconfigure for commuting. I had ordered a set of Planet Bike fenders that came yesterday. The front fender had the small plastic "breakaway" dropout mountings. I took a look and said to myself, "Cute, but really. How often does something jam your front wheel?" I reckon I displeased the cycle deities who obviously wanted to reinforce their presence!

I have to say that this was a positive experience. I learned something and I did not hurt myself significantly. I only wish someone was there to record it, I would like to see the replay.

-Gary
Same thing almost happened to my grandson one day when I took him for a ride. I gave him my "comfort" bike because I thought it would be safer but he picked up a small branch that lodged between the tire and the fender. Came to an abrupt stop that threw him forward off the saddle. Fortunately the top tube was at an angle that gave some additional clearance.