Old 06-17-05, 01:41 AM
tim_pnw

Bikes: 05' Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bmwryda05, here's a few steps on determining what you want /and can afford,

1st, plan on the best quality you can afford, then you won't regret your purchase.
Peace of mind goes a long way, and you'll have more satisfaction from your bike.

2nd, figure your budget. lets just use $200 as an example.

3rd, check out what's the best bikes available for that price at the Walmart, Target, and the discount Sporting goods....
make a list of the type of components each bike has and compare them...

4th, check out the entry level bikes offered at, say 3, Local Bike Shops (LBS)
Then compare the components...

note: usually the entry level bikes at bike shops are better, and have better components than walmart and such... but you will at least know what your paying you money for.

5th, if your looking at a $200 dollar bike, look at the improvements on the next model up from the same manufacturer. It could be $260, but in 2 weeks be on sale for $220, and worth the extra $20. (most likely tour $200 dollar bike would be $170) Always buy on sale if you can.

I reciently bought my mountain bike with help from this forum, but it took some effort on my own. I previously had Schwinn products in the +$300 back in the 80's and 90's. I reciently saw a Schwinn ad, did some research, and decided to avoid the schwinn for my price range. I decided on a much better bike for just a little more money and since there was a sale, I got the next model up!

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=107768

hope this helps from a middle aged white guy and best of luck!