View Single Post
Old 05-25-11, 08:02 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 28 x 2.0in (622 x 50)

Well today I got a surprise package! David from Bicycles Eddy dropped me off a couple special order boxes and apparently he also ordered the folding version which are even lighter! I say even lighter because the Marathon Supremes have a new anti-flat protection called Vectran which is 3x more cut resistant than Aramid and more puncture resistant than any other material on the market. So it let them cut down the tire thickness and therefore the weight.

The tires looked HUGE but then folding tires always look bigger than they really are installed and sue enough - they dropped right on the hybrid with room to spare and only look marginally larger than the Vee Rubber 622 x 39 tires. However, compared to the 700x23c tires on the road bike - the're pretty BIG!!
But there's lots of clearance in the frame.
The speedo has been recalibrated to the new measured circumference and tomorrow I`ll start using them for commuting.

The object here isn`t to try to prove that fat tires are faster - but rather to demonstrate that other factors influence average speed besides rolling resistance. Personally I feel more comfortable at higher speeds on fat tires where the road conditions are questionable. I don`t worry about pinch-flats or rim damage and so don`t slow down or try to avoid things that would have me hitting the brakes on a road bike.

But these Schwalbes were expensive and are supposed to have the same compound as is on their racing tires - lets see how they make out over a 100 mile test. This size is rated for a load of 135lbs and has a PSI range of 30 to 70 PSI. I`ll be running them between 45 and 55PSI.

OK Final update.. With 114.30km on the odometer as June 1st 2011, here are the numbers. Top speed reached on my commute was 57 km/hr and average speed was 22.5 km/hr. The higher top speed is easily explained by the larger wheel diameter which changed the gearing and required a higher top speed to spin out the 44T main chainring.

The higher average spped I can only attribute to Schwalbe technology. These tires do incorporate the same compound as their racing tires.

Epilogue as of 3 June 2011.
I`m officially in love! Must be because these are the most expensive tires I`ve ever put on a street bike and I have no regrets. The pair set me back about $150.00CDN. As of today there is 147.28kms on the odometer and the average speed is up to 22.8 km/hr in spite of some pretty strong headwinds lately. But its not the marginally increased speed that interests me - its the braking performance and the fact that when driving home on unlit bike paths at 10:00PM I don`t care if I can`t see the path perfectly. Theses tires will roll over anything.

And one of the guys I`m working with got another flat with his road bike with skinny tires today. Those Schwalbes, on the other hand, will be just about impervious to punctures and pinch flats. I fixed 10 flats just today - for other people.

As of 18th June 2011 these tires oficially have 200.13km on them - strictly commuting. Average steed is now up to 23.2km/hr - likely due to clothing changes due to warmer weather and fewer issues with headwinds. Aside from one set of stairs I have clinb to switch boulevards and manditory stoplights and stop signs, I can do most of the approx 12km commute at over 30km/hr.

I`ve passed the bike to several clients to test drive the tires and no-one has been less than enthusiastic about the ride. Quote: "A blast to ride and unbelievable braking. Can`t believe how fast they are - what a difference compared to what I`m driving!"

Last edited by Burton; 06-25-11 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Photos added