Old 05-25-11, 09:32 PM
manythings
Big Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do I need & need to know when choosing a new brake system

Hi everyone! I wanted to start off by saying I'm new here and I'm really happy to be part of this forum! I've never really been too heavy into biking but I've always ridden and now I've picked it up as a more time consuming hobby.

I have an old bianchi (maybe 89-90?) mtn bike; I'm not too sure the model but I'm looking to swap out the old brake system and put in a new one. I'm also thinking about switching out the handlebars as well while I'm at it.

what I was wondering what I should know (in terms of measurements, sizing,etc.) when chosing what to put in. I know the difference between disc brakes, v brakes, etc. but are they universal? Do I have to go with a vintage set?

I want to know so I know what to look for. I wanted to get all the parts online and then have a LBS install everything, but I don't want to end up getting the wrong size in anything...

I'm not really to concerned about preserving the vintage much (except for the frame). If anything I wanted to freak it out and have a few new components on it with the older frame.

Let me know what you think! And thanks in advance for the advice