Thread: Starting Slow
View Single Post
Old 05-26-11, 05:08 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Atavar
Had a great ride today. Took a ten mile loop out to the lake. Averaged 10mph with an 800 foot elevation change. I know that sounds like a wimpy ride for most of you but it is challenging for me. I am just getting started bicycling again and enjoying it a bunch. I can tell this is going to make a big difference in me if I keep it up.
It's an achievement for you and that's what matters. If others here are doing 100 miles and not breaking a sweat or collapsing in sweat and sighs after 100 yards doesn't change the achievement for you.

I don't know about the calorie computer in the B.iCycle app on my iPhone though (yeah, I'm a Fred), it says that the ride to the lake used 1068 calories. It is supposed to take elevation changes and wind into account. If the count is true I'm gonna go get an ice cream bar.. lol
I find that figure hard to believe, although it would depend on just how much you weigh. I'm somewhere marginally over 250 and reckon on 40 calories per mile as a rough guide (in the interests of openness that figure comes from two sources that roughly agree, even though I remember the precise source for neither). 106 calories per mile seems too much - even if you're going up some monstrous hills to get there you come down them on the way back and burn next to nothing.