View Single Post
Old 05-27-11, 12:05 PM
ColoradoClark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly LHT crank recommendation?

I just bought a Surly Long Haul trucker off of eBay and the bike arrived with a stripped crank -- the pedal in question, which the seller was kind enough to include with the bike, but NOT kind enough to describe in detail, has a lot of metal from the crank mixed into its threads. The inside of the crank is definitely stripped - pretty smooth and mostly lacking in threads for the first half of the threading. If I had to guess, I'd say he probably forced the pedal onto the crank by turning it clockwise, rather than the proper counter-clockwise threading for that side of the bike.

I'm a relative newbie to biking, so I thought I'd ask for advice here regarding a replacement crank - I will also check with my LBS. I'm a clydesdale (currently just over 230 lbs and slowly dwindling down to lighter weights....). I'm using the bike primarily for commuting (~20 mile round trip, maybe 20-25 pounds of gear?) and weekend rides through the Denver metro area and (maybe soon?) the foothills. I'm hoping to hit the local Colorado MS150 next year.

Comments, thought and/or suggestions?