View Single Post
Old 05-28-11, 11:48 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
penetrating oil soak for fluted seatpost

I'm tying to get the stuck seatpost out of my Gran Sport frame. It's a fluted Sugino post. If it were smooth, I'd turn the frame upside down and pour some PB Blaster down the seat tube through the bottom bracket and let it soak like that, but if I do that with the fluted post the oil will all run out.
Is there some good way to seal up the gaps between the flutings and the seat tube to keep the oil from leaking out? Plumber's putty? Some kind of wax? PB Blaster seems to dissolve a lot of things, so I'm not sure what might work.
I'm not at all averse to experimenting on my own, but since the whole point of this forum is to prevent unnecessary and repeated re-invention of the wheel, I thought I'd see if anyone else already has an answer to this one.
I just hope this doesn't turn into a complete fecking nightmare. I'm probably due for one--have dealt with a bunch of somewhat-stuck posts in the past, but nothing that required heroic measures.
Well, okay, there WAS one that I required the combination of finesse and brute strength that is the hallmark of Frank the Welder. Maybe I will threaten this frame with him and see if that causes it to panic and loosen up.
JV

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash