Old 05-29-11, 01:25 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How Do You Feel About Riding Through Bad Neighborhoods?

Perhaps this an irrational fear, but I'm a little concerned about it. It's not the riding part, because nobody is going to steal my bike while riding 20mph, but there are stop lights, etc. On the ride, I will pass by a park known for a high number of stabbings, shootings, and assaults. I'll also pass through a neighborhood known for its high amount of illegal immigrant drophouses, and is the center of gang activity in the Phoenix area. My ride there will be at about 3:30pm, but the way back would be about 9pm, and that has me more concerned, because I'm on a pretty flashy bike that someone could unload quickly.

I am going to my parents house tomorrow in Maryvale, and I would have to ride through West Phoenix to get there from Downtown. There are some pretty sketch areas and some very poverty stricken areas as well. I'm worried about drivers in that area especially uninsured ones. When I drive in the area, I notice that drivers seem to be of lesser skill and attention, and I'd be worried about a higher rate of intoxicated driving, especially on Memorial Day.

Is this irrational? Am I worried over nothing? Or should I just drive there?

Anyone with first hand experience at regularly riding through ghettos, what was your first ride like through a bad area?