View Single Post
Old 05-30-11, 05:46 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Great bike, and I say that with no personal prejudice.

It looks pretty much original. The bronze anodized brake calipers and levers are, for sure, and the Suntour Superbe rear derailleur is. If the shifters and front derailleur are both Superbe (may or may not say Pro), you're in good shape as far as 'restoring' to original. The original wheels would be brown anodized hubs (Sunshine/Sansin) and rims (Araya), close but not quite the same as the brakes, and it looks like those may have been replaced. Can't tell on the bars, but they are likely to be original. Seat would have been a Selle Italia Turbo, which has recently been reissued, but that's something you may or may not want to stay original with.

The Turbo is not exactly rare but is uncommon. It was only made for two years, 83-84, and the black with bronze is unique to 1984. Its successor was the Centurion Ironman, a phenomenally successful bike during its run and one you'll see is much loved around here. The Turbo is even cooler though.

- Dr Samuel Johnson