View Single Post
Old 06-02-11, 08:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed View Post
^ I do need to befriend a good mechanic. My problem there is actually that I live in such a major biking town that they go through probably hundreds of bikes a day at the local shops. The mechanics around here are always working, not really having time to talk. The mechanics(which are the people I usually try to deal with) at the place I go to know me by face well and think it's cool that I fix up old road bikes and give me pointers, and I make sure I drop a couple dollars in their tip jar each time, but I think that's about as close as it's gonna get around here without already having been a friend of one of them outside of their work lives. Hopefully one day I'll be a really good mechanic with all sorts of awesome bike tools in my shop, but unfortunately I can't afford the expensive ones just yet.
Is there a local bike co-op? In SoCal there are now a few, of various abilities and with variable tools. One comment on a tool that gets used by more than one guy, flip the fork to double check the centerline alignment.