Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOCS
One tip that has helped me is to use a repeating timer to help me remember to eat and drink at regular intervals. I use the same timer to remind me to take my endurolytes on a regular basis. I've noticed that as I get fatigued I can forget to hydrate/eat. The timer keeps me regularly taking in relatively small amounts of food and fluid.
I used to ride with a guy whose watch would beep every 10 minutes or so, and he'd take a drink. At first, most of us just ignored it, but then we all started drinking when we heard the beep ... it was good and got me into the habit of drinking regularly for several years. I need to start doing that again!

I know there are some reports that say that hydration has no effect on cramping, but there seems to be a connection with me ... and not just with cycling. If I don't drink enough during the day while at work, my feet will cramp in the evening. But if I do drink my "usual" amount, my feet are OK. And the same thing happens on rides. My feet are usually the first to cramp if I have not been drinking regularly.

The nibbling thing (regularly taking in relatively small amounts of food) also works for me. Sometimes I have trouble eating on long rides but the nibbling thing keeps me going.