Old 06-05-11, 01:20 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
othonleon,

I am sorry to hear about your crash and injuries. Get well soon.

I am in much the same situation as you. I am in my mid-50's and getting back into cycling after 30+ years. I bought a new road bike in April and have been learning to use clipless pedals. I have crashed twice due to the pedals, but fortunately the worst injury I sustained were minor abrasions on my elbow and knee.

Due to my inexperience with the bike and the pedals, I have limited my riding to a paved bike trail near my home. I've been trying to build my miles and confidence. It is getting easier, but slowly.

I am a very "defensive" unclipper, anticipating and unclipping one foot far ahead for stops, road gravel, kids playing, etc.
I definitely am in the "defensive" unclipper camp, unclipping my "plant" foot at the first sign of anything I feel may disrupt my ride and force me to come to a stop. As time goes by and I gain more confidence, I am sure I will be able to decrease my "defensive leeway" a bit and not have to unclip as much, but for now, I prefer to play it safe and overreact.

I suggest you replace your clipless pedals with platform pedals for the remainder of this bicycling season and just concentrate on building your miles and confidence. Perhaps sometime in the future you may feel confident enough to try the clipless pedals again.