Old 06-05-11, 06:37 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Janitorial strengh ammonia seatpost success

On the advice of BF member A. Winthrop, I soaked my stuck Gran Sport seatpost in Janitorial Strength ammonia (10% ammonia) from Ace Hardware. Turned the bare frame upside down, sealed around where the post entered the frame with plumber's putty, and poured the seat tube full of ammonia and let it soak for 3 days.
At the end of that time, I poured out the ammonia, clamped an old saddle to the post, and carried it out to the forked yellow birch "twisting tree" in my woods. I reefed on it pretty hard--was just getting to the point where I was starting to get a little concerned about the stress on the frame when there was a loud "pop" and the post moved. Worked it back and forth and soon got it out.
Was it the ammonia that did it? I'd have to say it helped. Trying the same twisting procedure earlier without ammonia got me nowhere. And when the post DID come out, it was wet along its whole length, suggesting to me that the ammonia did work its way between the post and frame.
I'd try it again. Be careful around the ammonia, though--you don't want to breathe it.
JV

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash