View Single Post
Old 06-07-11, 02:03 PM
SurlyLaika

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chibibike
My friend has had pain since day one and she's been riding for more than 5 months now and has tried 4 different seats and they all cause pain in the same area around her sit bones I think. Does she just need a real wide and thick seat? She does have a big butt. She rides a comfort hybrid so she sits upright. Right now she's on a forte brand seat with a cutout in the center and a wider back part but it's not great but just a little better than others. I was in a different bike shop the other day and saw a bigger seat and it was a lot thicker, maybe she should get one of those? She did use to have a big thick seat those, she got it at walmart it was the hugest one she could find there and it still hurt her so I donno if that seat I saw would be good but it did look more cushony and comfortable. Should I give it a shot? She feels that she just can't find any comfortable seat. We've talked to the guys at the shops and they say try this seat but they hurt still and we take it back and try another one, she's done doing that I think and I don't feel pain at all when I sit but I have a smaller butt so I donno. Is there no easy way to do this other than getting seat after seat trying them all? what a hassel.
it probably isn't dialed in right. There are a few adjustments that you have to get just right to make a saddle work optimally. Also, soft and squishy expands under your weight and presses against your perineum. It's counterintuitive but she probably needs a hard, Brooks-like saddle. Look here to learn how to adjust the bike and really spend an hour trying it. Don't just read it, do it. Look her for women specific Brooks. They have a great return policy.