View Single Post
Old 06-08-11, 02:31 AM
NightShift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparklecard
Well, I'm going to call some local bike shops and see about fitting. I'll definitely look into a new handlebar set. Thanks for the tips. North road handlebars look nice, but what about dropped? Is there any other companies to check out along with Brooks?

Here is my bike:

I don't mean to be post ***** and post a billion pics of my bike everywhere. I just want some help.
By "dropped" I assume you mean drop bars. Drop bars are great, but converting your bike would be expensive.

At 5'1" you may not need to raise the seat (but check your position and leg extension), but that has to put you in a VERY upright position. From the picture it looks like you have an adjustable stem (but I'm looking at it on my phone so I can't tell for certain). You may want to adjust your stem lower. Imagine straddling a saw-horse, if you're upright and raise one foot you either have to pivot your hips to brace your weight on one leg (which will cause rubbing) or support more of your weight on your crotch, but if you're in crouched position you can move your center of gravity without shifting, or supporting your weight on, your crotch. How far forward you should bend depends largely on your physical condition (range of motion, strength, any joint problems) but the maximum should still allow you to straighten your back without bracing your weight on your arms. If you need to lower the bars farther most north road bars have some raise/drop, so you can flip them for more adjustment than your stem offers.

I wouldn't worry about reducing the amount of weight you support on your arms (for now, based on limited info), but would definitely try for a more neutral shoulder and wrist position (which north road, mary, drop, dirt drop, rando, or H bars should provide).