Old 06-09-11, 08:12 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sierra Designs LT Strike 2: Anyone got one?

Is it just me or does this look like one great touring tent? Well, I know a lot of people will point out that its not freestanding but I have been using a non-freestanding tent for most of my trip across Asia for the last 3 months and have never minded much.

I have two tents currently, a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 and a ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1.5. Both of them suit my touring style pretty well. They are both about the same weight with the SD at 3.6 pounds and the ALPS at 3.8ish. I like them both for different reasons but the designs are similar. The ALPS has lot more vestibule space in exchange for a bit of interior room but since its a 1.5 man tent there is still plenty of space. The SD has more interior space than I really "need" and only one door the opens into the smalish vestibule. I end up having to move everything out of the way to get in and out. However, it is a better place to cook than in the ALPS. The ALPS has two doors and vestibules which is mighty handy as well as being a side entrance which is easier.

Here is the tent: http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-199-lt-strike-2.aspx

Anyways, i like both tents but the LT Strike 2 seems like a big step up but for less weight. An added bonus is that it only takes 2 stakes to make it stay up should you want to pitch it under a bridge, in an abandoned building or on a rocky surface. Thats a big plus since my current two tents would require at least four each. Obviously the rainfly would need staking but you would not need to do that if pitching under a roof of some kind. Your bike could be one place to tie to so all you would need to find is one other place to tie to. Sounds pretty nice to me!

So... does anyone have one? Not many reviews I can find online for the thing. Its a bit pricey but less than a Hubba Hubba, lighter, and with about the same dimensions. The grey fly is not the best color but its a lot better than hot orange. Anyone else have like this tent or is it just me?