Old 06-09-11, 10:48 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dinotte sells a version of their 200L headlamp that runs on 4 AA cells. Takes alkaline, lithium, and rechargables. Has 3 steady and 3 flash modes. They periodically have it on sale without charger or batteries. The light straps to handlebars with o-rings. I bought the optional helmet mount and use it for commuting as a backup light and aimable/get drivers' attention. I get decent runtime from NiMH, and carry single-use lithium cells as backup. Low discharge rate NiMHs have better shelf life and almost as good capacity as regular NiMH cells. The battery holder is similar to the 4-cell holder Radio Shack sells, so it's easy to have a 2nd pack ready to go, or to replace when they fail or corrode. 200 lumens (full power) is a lot of light, I can often run at the lower settings depending on other light sources and how far ahead I need to see. I used this light as a primary headlamp for a couple of seasons. If the Dinotte is too much money, there are several high output self-contained (AA) lights by Planet Bike (blaze?) and Cateye that may work for you and will cost 1/2-1/4 the Dinotte.