Old 06-19-05, 05:57 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorSpoc
hands in the drops in no more aero than on the hoods and all you have to do is bend more at the elbows to get the same position (these days most people who prefer the hoods to drops have their bars lower too)... in addition, with your hands on the hoods you are presenting less arm to the wind (less frontal area) so it's actually Gonzalez that actually had the advantage. in the drops you have way more leverage when you really want a lot of torque (e.g in sprinting) but this is not really necessary if you're just time trailing in as they were... I'd say Gonzalez was the smart one today...
Well, I guess the best point is that you can't argue with success. I have read, however, on more than one ocassion, that on the hoods you actually have more power, but on the drops the increase in more efficient aerodynamics more than makes up for the power loss. Having said that, the picture of Boonen sure depicts someone aero as hell on the hoods.

I just thought it very strange, because of all the riders following him, every one was riding their drops. And of course they were following him about 40 some odd seconds back.