Old 06-09-11, 01:54 PM
jimbojonez

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious49
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I just went back to the shop and re-rode some of the bikes. I'm thinking of just saying screw it and shelling out for the 7.5 FX.

The guy told me that the 7.3 is a step up from the 7.2 in terms of quality of components and how long they'll last. But the ride will be very similar. He said that there will be a big difference in the quality of the ride when you jump up to the 7.5. I told him I'm planning on doing maybe 60 miles a week - 3 days * 20 miles. He said at that point, if it was him, he'd get the 7.5. If I was planning on not riding as much then he'd stick to the 7.3.

I'd rather shell out the money now than have remorse a few months down the road. I didn't notice a big difference in ride in any of them when I tested them. But the parking lot behind the shop is pretty smooth so I'm guessing I didn't get much of a chance to test out the CF fork on the 7.5.

Jimbo - Since you have a 7.5, you want to tell me what your overall impression of it is? If you think you made the right choice?
I love this bike, i have absolutely no regrets about getting it. I have meant to put a full review of it on my blog but haven't been able to find the time to finish it. The biggest difference between the 7.3 and 7.5 is the carbon fork and a higher level of components. The carbon fork is great, it makes riding much more comfortable than a standard aluminum or steel fork. You only feel the bump of potholes, etc and not the impact in your wrists. The fork also does a great job of dissipating trail vibration if your a trail biker. My only issue with the bike is the handlebar issue i pointed out earlier, i actually went and replaced the whole handlebar setup so i could add bar ends. http://bartsbiking.com/?p=510 If your only doing 20 miles you may not have a need for bar ends, the stock handlebar and grips are very comfortable, but on longer trips i just need different hand positions.

One thing i would mention is you want to save yourself some cash for accessories and figure that into your budget. I upgraded to SPD pedals and shoes this year and will never go back to clips.