Old 06-12-11, 11:17 AM
Sjixxxy

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Collegiate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are people friendlier while you bike?

A few weeks back I got the notion in my head that I I bought a bike, I could use it help increase my productivity as a photographer by allowing me to carry my heavier gear further than I'd be able to on foot. I picked up a sweet old Schwinn Collegiate of the local Craigslist a few weeks ago, and have been building it up to carry my photography equipment. When all is said & done and its fully loaded, the whole mess of things should top the 50 pound mark.

I haven't got it rigged up yet to carry my load, but I've still been taking it out daily just to get my body conditioned to riding. What I've taken notice of if that a whole lot more percentage of people seem to say hello, wave, or give a "how do you do" as I pass near while on bike. When I set out on foot, the most I ever seem to get from people is a little courtesy nod that only happens if I pass within five feet of someone.

Am I crazy, or do bystanders seem to respond better to people on bikes?

I've only been at this for a little over a week, so I'm not sure if it is just a statistical anomaly or not. I sure hope it isn't as my main subject of photography interest is other people as they go about their day-to-day lives. If they tend to keep opening up in a way I've never experience while on foot, this can only be a boon for my art.

Last edited by Sjixxxy; 06-12-11 at 12:16 PM.