JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tires..... again

Ive gone through about 8 pages of old threads looking for opinions and didnt really find a whole lot so I thought Id start a new thread and get some current advice.

We have a Cannondale Road 3 that came with Conti Gatorskins. One thing Ive noticed since we got this bike (We're both pretty strong riders) is that this bike is SLOW. We both have to kill ourselves on the tandem to even get close to what we can do on our singles.

This got me to thinking yesterday about my one and only experience with Armadillos on my single. I put a set on my single bike, went out and rode 10 miles and felt like someone had tossed an anchor out behind me. Im starting to wonder if the rolling resistance of the Gatorskins is whats causing our tandem to feel like we're riding in quicksand.

We ride on crappy roads. Theyre not heavy with debris, they're just old and we're a pretty heavy team. I weigh in around 270 and my stoker is around 190. We both ride Conti Attack Force tires on our singles although Ive dabbled with 4000S's, Pro Race 2s and some other tires. Flats have never been an issue for us.

So.. can anyone recommend a tire that has less rolling resistance than the Gatorskins but still have some puncture resistance? Id even be willing to go up in size provided it will fit in the frame. The Cannondale has a pretty beefy fork so I dont think getting a larger tire in would be that tough.