Old 06-14-11, 11:58 AM
VonCarlos
AmiableNitrite Member

Bikes: '74 Alex Singer -'81 Mercian(sold) - '72 Motobecane GR(sold) - '73 Legnano(sold) - '6? Dawes Galaxy(sold) - '87 Masi GC(sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Okay Okay! :-) I won't repaint it.
I really didn't like the yellow color, but it's quickly growing on me. I do like the patina of the old cracked paint and I very much like the thought of keeping the bike in it's original condition. And actually, I never thought otherwise. My wife and I are both lovers of history, science and Art and my only thought was to keep this Motobecane, original.

I brought up the paint question because the cracking appears to make the paint easily chip off, and I think this will just get worst as it's ridden more. As seen on the chain-stay. This bike will be ridden and not hung-on-a-wall. Maybe it would be a good idea to apply a clear coat over the yellow and/or just a clear chain-stay protector.

I just got it last week, took it for a little parking-lot spin, and have not spent much time with it except to check the frame for accuracy. Amazingly it checks out perfect, not a single measurement is off! My plan is to disassemble most of it, clean, repack, re-tune, polish and adjust.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Just an old guy's opinion
Hey, I respect an old-guy's opinion, since I is one.

Originally Posted by big chainring
I've seen that crackling on other yellow motos of that vintage. But only on the yellow ones. Something in the paint process or the yellow paint?, dont really know. And some yellow Motos have a blackish discoloration to them. Its a very vivid yellow, perhaps something to do with the yellow pigments in the paint.
Yes, thanks for that info, it was something I was wondering about myself. Since I've only had one bike, the SiNGER, up until now for most of my adult life, I don't have the experience of seeing so many bikes.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
And, as one member mentioned, to paint or not to paint is completely up to you, but my guess is you will regret it. I certainly did when I built my first vintage road bicycle, which I named Big Green. I made all the major mistakes, with that build, and reading about it just might prove very helpful to the OP.
randyjawa, a big thanks-very-much for your website "MY TEN SPEEDS. That is quite an effort! I have been making my way through it slowly and it has proven to be a great learning tool. Thanks again!

I'm only buying bikes for myself to ride, hence they are all my size +/-, and have no intentions of selling them in the future. I now have two complete bikes, a 1974 Alex SiNGER, 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, and one 1973 Legnano frame/fork. As I line-up the frames I can see there's quite a difference in the geometry and I'm really looking forward to riding these new (to me) bikes.

Thanks to everyone for your help and comments.
A few more pics.