Old 06-14-11, 01:58 PM
Keith E. Larsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking has saved my life

Hey folks,

I hope everybody out there is having a wonderful time, and getting in some great rides. I've been away from the forum for a while partly because I'd forgotten my password, and otherwise because I've have been incredibly busy since I retired two years ago. As to the subject of a bike saving my life, I want to share with all you more full figured folks that this was is what I'm taking about. I was about 75 lbs. heavier than I am today, and would have been a candidate for some serious health problems if I hadn't made some changes. The bicycle played a major roll in my weight loss. I had to start out with walking until I trimmed off the first 20 lbs. so I wouldn't crush the bike. Then I took short rides, and gradually work my way up. I live in the mountains above Boulder at about 8200 ft., everything tends to by uphill, or into the wind from my home which is a great training spot. Today, I'm at 219, and able to mountain bike 20 miles with elevation changes of 2200 ft., or road bike 30 miles at about the same elevation variation. I'm not particularly fast, but I come home with a huge smile on my face. So, to all you full figured folks out there, don't beat yourself up about the gain. Just ride-on, and be happy.

Happy trails,
Keith